Sunday, February 8, 2015

Projects #15 Search Engines

www.bitba.com

1. WolframAlpha
This search engine seems to deal more with equations and the preciseness of things. If I were to use this search engine I would use it more for help on a math problem, science related, or maybe even trying to purchase something for the house. When I came to the page there was a black space that asked what I would like to know more about or calculate. My first search I typed in car and it gave me the metric and standard weight along with the length of a standard car. It does not give much information and details or other websites, but simply the basic facts.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/

2. DuckDuckGo
When I first heard the name of this I kind of chuckled, but I actually like it. For DuckDuckGo I used the same word car for this search engine, and it brought up a lot of websites that either had car in the title or in the description. This search engine seems close to Google. I would probably use this one if I had to look up things for a project or get the answers to something. This search engine also apparently does not track so if someone is looking for one like that then this is it.
https://duckduckgo.com/

3. Dogpile
This search engine actually says it is presented by Google and Yahoo, so I am guessing that is where a lot of the information is pulled from. Dogpile I would use for anything very basic. It does not give a lot of useful feed back, but just random websites. When I typed in car it did not even pull up the main website cars,com like most other search engines do. This one does however have a tab for videos, pictures, local, and news.
http://www.dogpile.com/

4. WOW
Before I even typed anything in there was a list of icons of websites below the search bar that was quick links to popular sites. The links also seemed to give a wide variety, and the website covered the most popular ones on my feed. On WOW it also guesses what someone may type like Google does. Unlike a lot of other search engines this one only offers the web, photos, and videos. I would use this one if I am just wanting to look something up real quick or quickly go to a website since it has that option at the bottom of the search bar.
http://www.wow.com/

5. Ask
Ask seems alright, but I personally do not care for this search engine. I would probably not use this website much for anything. It does not give that great of websites when I used different words to search either. It does however have a Question and Answer section that lets other people posts comments to and a lot of other search engines do not have that.
www.ask.com

6. Ixquick
This one is neat since it has tabs to the left that allows someone to see posts as far as the past year. It even has the past 24 hours which would be neat for if something just recently happened. I would probably use this website for wanting to know something that is news related or something that maybe just recently happened in Hollywood. I like how the tabs are there though to only check certain time frame on posts.
https://ixquick.com/

7. Bing
I know a lot of people use Bing over Google now-a-days. I like how it does have the tabs at the bottom of the page for the most recent "news" whether it be in Hollywood or around the world. Bing also has many different tabs to search something under such as pictures, videos, maps, news, and much more. I would use Bing if I had a research project or something as basic as checking the weather. I would say this is my second favorite search engine.
http://www.bing.com/

8. Web Crawler
This seems like another basic search engine. This one does list most recent searches, and I am assuming that it is from other people across the world. It gives some websites that are popular, but also some that I have never really heard of. If I needed a certain number of sources, or I needed a source someone else did not use for a paper I would more than likely use this one by looking at the things that pop up under different searches,
http://www.webcrawler.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment